What Does Fire Damage Restoration Involve?
The days immediately after a home fire are critical. Homeowners should contact a fire restoration company in Kew Gardens, NY, and notify their insurance provider. The following stages of damage cleaning are necessary to restore a residence.
A service that specializes in fire damage mitigation and restoration will start by assessing the extent of damage. This inspection should include:
- Fire or smoke damage
- Water damage due to fire suppression
- Building materials and contents that can be repaired or restored
- Materials and contents that must be torn out and replaced
This service may help homeowners provide an insurer with proof of loss. Experts can also lay out a timeline for restoration.
A full-service restoration company will provide mitigation services. These include measures such as:
- Boarding-up broken windows
- Tarping over holes in a roof
- Security fencing
These measures can limit additional damage prior to fire restoration. Sealing off a damaged structure may also prevent trespassing.
Damage cleaning is critical to the restoration process. During this phase, experts will:
- Remove ash, soot, damaged materials, and contents
- Clean stained surfaces and items with smoke damage
Filter air and perform odor mitigation
Some of these measures will be done on-site. The service may clean and store smoke-damaged items offsite until restoration is complete.
Once ash, soot, and damaged contents and materials have been removed from the site of a fire, restoration can begin. This may include:
- Rebuilding damaged structures
- Re-installing torn out materials and contents
- Returning cleaned contents
This is the final phase of the fire damage cleanup process. Each stage is critical to restoring the condition of a residence that has suffered a fire.
After a fire at a residence in Kew Gardens, NY, a homeowner should schedule a consultation with a fire restoration company. Insurers prefer to work with certified services that have extensive experience cleaning up smoke and fire damage.